Griffin Tales - Baby Blog.

This is the story of Griffin Berg.

My Photo
Name:
Location: williamsville, New York, United States

Griffin was born on May 18th, 2005. I've been struggling to come to terms with everything since.:)

5/19/2006

1 YEAR OLD (and 1 day)


He is one year old. His grandparents on my side came from their homes to see us, and my sister flew in as well. My other sister was not feeling well (due to surgery), so was unable to come. My brother and sister in law came with my nephews later in the day.

The day was pretty mellow, with hanging out, and various shopping excursions. We had sandwhiches, then cake. Griffin was getting really overwhelmed at this point, but he really enjoyed playing with his piece of cake. He didn't get it on the wall, for which I am eternally grateful. It did get on his head, behind his ears, on his eyebrows, eyelashes, and up his nose. Some got in his mouth too, and he seemed to seriously dig that. We all made a big deal of the cake, and he seemed the happiest he'd been all night, while at the same time being incredibly wired. I think all the people, attention and sugar took its toll on him then. Present opening was just for the adults, as he worked himself into a state.

Then, everyone was gone. Everyone went home, and life went on as usual. It was jarring, and once again I am reminded that life isn't a movie. His birthday party doesn't end with credits and a sappy song. You get up the next morning, he needs changing, the laundry needs to get done, life just.. goes on. For the first time in longer than I care to remember, that doesn't depress me. Sure, if I'm tired I still wish I could keep sleeping, but I don't feel as if I am being ground between the wheels of life anymore. Incredibly, strangely, awesomely, I am enjoying my life.

Being one year since he was lifted from my womb by the nice gentlemen at Children's Hospital, I am of course prompted to remember that experience. [Long Pause] Now that that is over, let me move on to the next year's worth of hopes and dreams. As we move to the new apartment, we all take the first step in a long journey.

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea:

Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon.

Be well,
Autumn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home